Skip to main content

Blog 3

Blog 3

I have built a prototype for a tank-based robot which I am going to test out: 


It was made from spare parts which included foamboard, Raspberry Pi 3B+, L298N motor controller, battery pack, an aluminum tank chassis and two 300rpm dc motors. I controlled it over SSH via my laptop however I hope to soon control it via a PS4 controller or something similar to that. 

I decided that I would make both a tracked tank robot as well as a 4wd robot and compare them both to see which one I prefer. The robot that I do not choose will be used as a backup as it will be useful
if anything bad happens to my primary robot (ie big mechanical failures). Next, I will build my 4wd robot using the ThunderBorg motor controller.

Currently, I believe that the 4wd robot will be more useful this year in the challenges and one major drawback of using this tank is that the tracks are very fiddly and are hard to get right.  I have still have a long time until Pi Wars 2020, but I assume that I will have a good working chassis done by the end of November.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1

Blog 1 A quick update - if all goes to plan, most of the major parts for my chassis will arrive in a week's time. I am exploring the idea of making a tank based robot, however, I will do some tests and make many prototypes to see what type of robot better suits the challenges this year. While waiting for the various parts to arrive, I am going to start on the coding! I will probably be uploading all my work to GitHub and I will post a link to that as soon as possible. Right now I think that the challenge that requires the most thought is going to be 'The Zombie Apocalypse' .  The challenge is described as the following on the Pi Wars website: "Shoot all the zombies in the Tower and save the inhabitants. The targets will be at a number of different levels and you must use projectiles as your “anti-zombie device” to knock them over." My first idea for this challenge was to develop a mechanism using a push and pull solenoid, as well as  neodymium magnets and

Gripper Test!

Gripper Test Below is a quick video of a test for my Pi Wars 2020 gripper. In this video, I use a 6 channel digital servo tester as well as an inexpensive robot gripper I found on Robot Shop. I also tested out a vacuum-based gripper system (which I created using a syringe) however this was not as practical. Anyway, this is a video of a test of my gripper, enjoy!